Do you need to go to the Emergency room now! No!
Only unless you are so sick that you can not keep down liquids, you are not going to the bathroom anymore ( peeing at least once in 8+ hours, your pee is dark, you are dehydrated now possibly) By liquids I don't mean alcoholic kind...yes some have to ask.
Your fever will not go away even after taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and/or Ibuprofen (Motrin) and waiting at least an hour for it to work. It's ok to run a fever... It's your body's way of trying to fix itself.
Please at least try to help yourself, you don't have to prove a fever to the ER nurse, she will just roll her eyes at you if you did not take anything at all. That goes for those little kiddos too. Nothing makes me want to roll my eyes at you if you did not try and medicate your child.... They feel like poop, give them something to make them feel better.... Be a parent please ( off my soapbox..sorry about that)
The flu is a virus... True influenza is a respiratory kind of viral bug... Nothing we can give you will make it go away ...once you have influenza of any type.. You are gonna feel like crap for about 1-2 weeks......yes I said weeks.... See why prevention of the flu is everything ! It is spread by droplets..floating around in the air once someone infected with flu coughs,sneezes and spreads those droplets to you, a doorknob,shopping cart or anywhere those nasty drops land.
Antiviral meds are not that effective...have yucky side effects (like vomiting...fun) and cost more $$. Would I take them...NO ... Would my medical coworkers take them...usually they say no way too....that's gotta tell you something...and never would I give to my kids or grand-kids.
What are the symptoms of the Flu (influenza) ?
- Fever-- we have been seeing very high fevers lately...like 103-106 high
- Comes on suddenly
- Chills - shaking feelings like you are "freezing to death"
- Muscle and body aches
- Runny nose,coughing,respiratory symptoms ..worse than a common cold
- Extreme fatigue ,tiredness
- Lack of appetite
- Most people have all or a few of these symptom, but they all will have a fever.
- WASH YOUR HANDS!!! Wash your hands, wash your hands! #1 thing proven to help prevent!
- Stay home during higher flu season times... The ER and Dr offices are full of flu patients right now.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing! Don't spray your droplet mess to everyone.
- Don't share eating utensils or cups with others, even your family.
- Get a flu vaccine early in the fall,when the are first available.
- Eat a healthy diet ... This goes a long way to preventing illness's
- Take a good probiotic daily! Keep you gut healthy...80% of you immune system lives in your tummy!
- Preventative essential oils have been proven to help with seasonal threats and support of your immune health, educate yourself on these.
- Rest-- sleep it off, your body needs to repair itself while you sleep.
- Drink lots and lots of fluids...juices,waters,pedialyte type liquids,Popsicle's ,frozen fruits or ices soothe.
- Wash those hands...don't spread it
- Medicate to help the symptoms- Acetaminophen or Tylenol, Ibuprofen or Motrin for fevers and discomfort. Over the counter flu type meds (Theraflu) can help, you can ask the pharmacist for suggestions.
- Hot tea with lemon and honey does help.
- Chicken soup ( yes it does help to soothe the savage beast)
- High fever with a rash all over
- Trouble breathing
- Skin or lips have bluish appearance
- Not drinking enough or peeing any for >8 + hours
- Lethargic or very sleepy, can't wake person
Do you have a cold or the flu?? Her is how to tell.....
Stay well! and Wash those Hands Please!