~

Welcome to my blog about health, nursing, caring, kindness and positive change. Our world is full of such negative influences and bad choices, today is the day to make a positive change both physically and mentally in your life.
ERNursesCare is a blog incorporating my nearly 30 years of experience in the healthcare field with my passion for helping others, I want it to encourage others with injury prevention, healthy living, hard hitting choices, hot topics and various ramblings from my unique sense of humor. Come along and enjoy your journey......

Thursday, November 27, 2014

This Thanksgiving What I am UnThankful For....ER Nurse Version



Working in the ER changes you as a nurse, sadly the chaos, tragedy, stress and constant living on the edge carves away at your inner being. Many nurses working in this environment for many years become cynical, hardened, and pretty much burnt to a crisp. These nurses begin to think about other fields of work to try, but learn that they are used to a certain lifestyle and pay. Without going back to school or changing professions completely they feel stuck in a dead end job.
They also make their co-workers around them miserable, the team player is no more. Vocal and verbally negative, they complain constantly about everything from their own health to their patients (the very patients that they are there to care for).
Working with a "negative Nancy or Ned" is one of my most "unthankful" things, it drains me and makes me sad.
If you are that unhappy with your job, you need to find a new one ...fast.
I come to work in a great mood, happy to have a job and after many years still love my job. Yes some days are more stressful than others, but all in all the patient is why we are there to work. Whether it is a negative nurse, doctor, or even part of the ancillary staff, that person can pull everyone down and make the work environment unhealthy emotionally for everybody, then the patients ultimately suffer.

Here is a list of Un-Thankful things:

  • Negative Nellies (or Neds) - get your head out of your butt
  • Uncooperative staff (that complain about every new change- even if it is good)
  • Co-workers that consistently call in sick (and you know your health is worse than theirs)
  • Constant complainers- something is always wrong with them- always sick or have a problem
  • Nurse Bullies (Horizontal Violence) - nobody has time for that 
  • Gossipers (mind your own business and let me do my job)
  • Nosey Nosela's -- we all seem to have one or two that need to know it all (and tell it all)
  • Superheros that know it all (but really don't) these nurses scare me- nobody knows it all
  • Loners-- those that will not ask for help ( it is ok now to ask for help!)
I will stop there, I think you get the drift......lol , you all know what I am talking about if you are a nurse. 


Working in an environment such as the ER does not have to change you into such a cynical burnt out cinder. You are the key to your own happiness, accept gratitude for your career as a caregiver in such a fast paced role. Embrace your own wellness and take care of you, that is the most important thing you can do for your patients and coworkers. 
New nurses and nursing students, the time is now for you to be the change. One nurse at a time, one day at a time we can change the face of negative nursing environments and un-thankful lists. Happy, healthy nurses create a patient that is on the road to wellness. 

Stay tuned for my Most Thankful ER Nurse list ,coming up tomorrow.......... 




1 comment:

  1. Well thought content impressed me! I am glad to check out sharing information and accordingly meet with the demands.. If you need help in goal statement for nursing then contact us right now.

    ReplyDelete

If you like this post let me know by commenting, follow me on Facebook and Twitter (ERNursesCare) ~~ Leslie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Care to Share!