~

Welcome to my blog about health, nursing, caring, kindness and positive change. Our world is full of such negative influences and bad choices, today is the day to make a positive change both physically and mentally in your life.
ERNursesCare is a blog incorporating my nearly 30 years of experience in the healthcare field with my passion for helping others, I want it to encourage others with injury prevention, healthy living, hard hitting choices, hot topics and various ramblings from my unique sense of humor. Come along and enjoy your journey......

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Smashing Your Fears: Lung Leavin Day 2014

Today is a landmark day for a fabulous lady, "Heather Von St James", a mom, a wife, a woman and a fighter!

This post has been particularly hard for me to write due to my own mothers recent diagnosis of Stage 4 Lung Cancer ( not mesothelioma ). I am typing here bedside her bed in ICU as she struggles to breath and stay alive just one more day. My mom smoked for at least 50 years and I know she must pay the ultimate price now.

Heather on the other hand is a survivor of mesothelioma, a lung cancer seen with exposure to asbestos. She is a rare jewel, here is her story and why February 2nd is so special to her each year.

 

My name is Heather and I am an 8-year survivor of mesothelioma – a rare cancer caused by asbestos exposure. When I was diagnosed, I had just given birth to my little girl and was told I had 15 months to live. After undergoing a risky surgery, which required the removal of my left lung, I beat the odds and created Lung Leavin’ Day as a way to commemorate this day that changed my life forever.


Lung Leavin’ Day is now used to encourage others to face their fears! One important thing cancer taught me is the importance of acknowledging these apprehensions that prevent us from living life to the fullest extent.




Each year on February 2, friends and family gather at my house for a bonfire where we write our fears on plates and smash them into the fire.

This year, we are asking you to face your fears and raise awareness of this event by virtually participating in Lung Leavin’ Day!


I have created an interactive page that tells the full story of this special day, which can be found here: Mesothelioma.com/heather/lungleavinday




What are you fears? We all have them....let's smash them today and celebrate Heather's day with her in celebration! A celebration of life!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post let me know by commenting, follow me on Facebook and Twitter (ERNursesCare) ~~ Leslie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Care to Share!